Saturday, December 12, 2009

A brief aside before we continue

Before I get too deep into this, I think I should give the reader a better idea of my tastes and thoughts for this blog. As I may or may not have mentioned, I recently relocated to Loveland, Colorado. There are three big reasons I love this area: the mountains, the food, and the beer. This is (in my humble opinion) one of the best regions in the world for the educated beer drinker. Two of the worlds biggest breweries, Coors and Anheuser Busch, are less than an hour away, and the area is peppered with craft breweries, including the 3rd largest in the country, New Belgium. For those curious like me, numbers one and two are Samuel Adams and Sierra Nevada, respectively. Other notables in the area are Boulder, Breckenridge, O'Dells, and Left Hand, all of which are just a quick jaunt down I-25.


When you put all that together, a trip to the liquor store usually yields an impressive selection of beers, most of which were brewed less than a month ago. Fresher beer is tastier beer, which is especially true for some of the lower ABV, more mass produced beers like Coors and Budweiser. I know for a fact that once you cross into the Central Time Zone, Coors Light goes downhill fast. The downside to all of this is the fact that a good amount of the products I review may not be available outside of the state (or even the county for some of the rarer ones). I'd encourage you to look into what you can get in your area (feel free to send over any beers you think should be reviewed), and maybe take a trip out here to sample some of the fantastic beers the west has to offer.

On to the actual content, I'd say the vast majority of the stuff I'll be drinking and subsequently writing about will be beer. I enjoy a good single malt scotch or cocktail, but beer is my drink of choice. That's not to say I won't take suggestions, but I don't trust my knowledge enough to get too deep into wines or other spirits. I'll also do my best to avoid getting too snobby or dry, blogs aren't exactly the highest form of journalism, and I'll treat this as such. I've decided that a grading system would probably work well, so let's just go with the good old fashioned letter grades (A, B, C, D, F). I'll do +/- as well to further distinguish the drinks. We'll see how that goes.

That's about all for now, as I said, feel free to send over suggestions and I'll see what I can do to find them. I'll be back soon with more reviews, likely of slightly classier beers. Until then, bottoms up.

-The Drunken Dane

No comments:

Post a Comment