Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Bud Light: Why not?


So there's a new Scrubs on (vaguely reminiscent of the failed Saved By The Bell college try) and I've had a long day rescuing my handicapped Jeep from the clutches of the Colorado mountains.  Thus, I need a beer.  Yes, I have one Frambozen left.  Yes, I have a bomber of Dark Kriek (one of the last ten or so in the world I believe, saving it for a special occasion).  Those are just not quite up to par.  A night like this needs substance.  A night like this needs class.  A night like this needs Bud Light.

You'll notice they recently changed the can design.  I hate it.  There was a certain charm to having to tilt your head ninety degrees to read the label (like anyone actually did it).  There was also a time when there weren't stupid acronyms for beer.  I recently heard the phrase "Bee Ell Squared."  It was in reference to Bud Light Lime.  My cousin-in-law almost died that day.  But that's a different story altogether.  This can has a "BL" on the other side.  But, now that I look closer, it also has a vertically typed "Bud Light" and a vertical "BL,", so those will go ahead and cancel out.  So just a little hate for this can.

I recently interviewed for a management position with Anheuser-InBev (Bud).  They used a pretty good chunk of my funemployment.  Then they gave me the BS dismissal email.  Bastards.  But I did learn some info on the inside.  For instance, the market share of Bud Light is unbelievably large.  The Fort Collins AB brewery has two brewhouses, one for Bud Light and one for the other 100+ beers they brew.  They have a lime version, a clamato version, a wheat version, and probably a few others that just slip away from my mind right now.  Though I can't confirm this, I'm guessing it's the most consumed beer in the states.  Also, if wikipedia is correct, it's only 4.2% ABV.  That's kind of crappy.  I didn't know that.  Moving on.

Odds are, if you're reading this, you've consumed multiple cases of this beer.  I'm probably well over the hundred can mark of this so called "BL."  And I have no regrets.  It's a pretty tasty beer.  Where Coors Light turned to a skunky mess once you cross into the central time zone, Bud Light had a backup brewery in St. Louis which lead to a still very fresh tasting brew.  Multiple bars in Iowa (ugh, Iowa) had dollar beer nights, and on those nights I would almost always consume multiple Bud Lights.  Fond memories there.  It's not too bitter or hoppy, but it's got flavor.  A nice malty flavor.  Kind of like a crazy light wheat beer, but not quite.  If I knew more about the brewing and the beer itself, I'd go on about it like a professional douche.  But I don't, so I'll say this: From the first sip to the last drop you shake out of the can, it's a very drinkable beer.  I believe that's their new slogan.  Drinkability or something.  I'm still bitter.  Bastards.  It's obviously a light beer, but it's above the ranks of Busch Light, Keystone Light, etc.  It has flavor.  It has a personality.  It's just good.  Especially in multiples of six.

Final Grade: B.  As I've said, I enjoy a heavier beer.  I also enjoy Coors Light, which is painfully fresh here.  I also hold a grudge.  Bastards.  That being said, it's still tasty enough to consume, en masse at times.  I can almost guarantee I'll put down at least a twelve pack over the holidays.  The only thing the brand is really missing is a larger container to sell it in (something akin to the new keg-like versions of Coors Light and Miller Light).  The price, quality, and sheer availability of fresh cans of Bud Light means it passes my test.  For now.

Girly Grade: A-.  I'd say this is arguably the best "girly" beer.  To reiterate, very drinkable, cheap, and available in a lime flavor.  What else could a sorority girl want.

The holidays are rapidly approaching and I can't guarantee I'll be keeping up with this.  I'll definitely be drinking, but I'm not sure the netbook will always be at my side, and, as I said, I'll only be posting if I'm drinking at the same time.  Only time will tell.  If I get ambitious, we'll talk again soon.  If not, we'll talk next year.  Until then, bottoms up.

-The Drunken Dane

1 comment: